…I Had Forgotten How Good I Could Feel
This case demonstrates how very mild patients can have quite severe symptoms. It also demonstrates how drastically improved sleep quality, improvement in daytime energy and cessation of snoring can occur with a snoring-apnea oral device. In this case, wonderful results occurred in just one night of using the oral device.
This month’s case highlights:
- 5′ 11″ and 245 pounds 53-year-old male
- His original symptoms included snoring, poor sleep quality 2-3 of 5, and average daytime energy 3 of 5, 5 being the best
- His physician referred him for sleep testing at a sleep lab facility
- During the test, this patient attempted CPAP therapy and asked to stop the trial due to poor mask fitting over his beard and difficulty breathing with the mask
- Results of test concluded he has very mild obstructive sleep apnea (5.0 events per hour with the lowest blood oxygen level of 88%)
- An oral device was fabricated
- Results after his first night with the oral device:
- No snoring per his wife
- He can now sleep on his back on which he could not before therapy
- Patient originally– quality of sleep as 2-3 of 5 ( 4 of 5 now), and daytime energy was 3 of 5 (now 4 of 5), 5 being the best.
- The patient is progressing well with oral appliance therapy. No adjustments needed to be made to his device. (It was fabricated with a ‘built-in’ advancement amount.)
- Due to his mild diagnosis, no follow-up sleep test was recommended.
- The patient is very happy with oral appliance therapy.
Disclaimer: Average successful outcome for oral appliance therapy is 60-80 %. Any information provided here is intended for educational purposes only. It should not be used in lieu of personal medical guidance.