A Short Overview of Oral Appliance Therapy and MySleepDevice.com
About Oral Appliance Therapy (Sleep Apnea Dental Devices)
Custom oral devices (specialized dental retainers) have been well-researched, medically approved and supported by well-trained sleep medicine professionals as:
- a first line of treatment for snoring (without apnea)
- an excellent option for obstructive sleep apnea
- a common alternative to CPAP(continuous positive airway pressure) therapy for the treatment of apnea
Oral appliance therapy is a proven and commonly prescribed treatment choice for snoring and obstructive sleep apnea, a common sleep breathing disorder. Unfortunately, it is not uncommon to see patients struggle for YEARS, with snoring, apnea and CPAP dilemmas, and then have their lives changed in as short as a few nights or weeks of wearing a custom oral device.
In the medical field, custom oral devices (appliances) have multiple names:
- mandibular advancement device
- mandibular repositioning device
- mandibular advancement splint, and more.
These oral devices are differentiated greatly from self-molded internet type devices that you purchase on your own. There are over 3 decades of research behind oral appliance therapy which involves guidance from a trained dentist. The area of study within dentistry that involves the treatment of airway sleep breathing disorders with oral appliance therapy is called dental sleep medicine.
About My Sleep Device
Good, healthy sleep is vital to one’s quality of life.
MySleepDevice.com provides comprehensive, unbiased and well-researched information on snoring and apnea treatment with oral appliance therapy. MySleepDevice was created to help you achieve peaceful sleep, to help find a qualified physician or dentist near you, and to provide dentists who screen for or treat airway breathing disorders with articles and information to share with their patients.
Whether you are just starting the path to a good night’s sleep, or know you already have apnea, a serious condition often related to snoring, My Sleep Device is here to guide you on your next step towards peaceful sleep. If you already have a professional dental oral device, our resource section can help you towards more long term successful treatment.
We remain committed to sharing ongoing information on apnea, oral appliance therapy and strategies to improve your sleep and well-being.
About the author
Hi, I’m Dr. Lydia Sosenko, a general dentist and a Diplomate of the American Board of Dental Sleep Medicine. I’ve been treating snoring and apnea patients for over 20 years with professional oral devices. Although my colleagues and I in the field of dental sleep medicine are fortunate enough to change the lives of many patients suffering from snoring and apnea, we share common frustrations and the need to build awareness of oral appliance therapy.
It is our mission to help guide individuals suffering from snoring and apnea to quicker treatment and to provide dentists who screen for or treat snoring and apnea patients with articles and information in the field of snoring, apnea and oral appliance therapy to share with their patients.
Together let’s not only improve the sleep of our friends, families, and patients but let’s improve their quality of lives, their relationships and even extend their lives!
Dr. Sosenko’s experience includes:
- Graduate of University of Illinois College of Dentistry in Chicago
- Began working with snoring and apnea patients in 1996
- Became a Diplomate of the American Board of Dental Sleep Medicine in 2006 (1st in DuPage County where she practiced in Naperville, Illinois)
- In 2007 began educational presentations to dentists and the public on the topic of dental sleep medicine and served on the Public Awareness Committee of the American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine
- In 2013 began working with The Center for Sleep Medicine in northern Illinois, a premiere sleep disorders facility that includes physicians, psychologists, dentists and technicians all focusing on sleep disorders.
MySleepDevice.com is an educational only website created by Dr. Lydia Sosenko. To request an appointment with Dr.Sosenko for oral appliance therapy in Northern Illinois, visit: https://drlydiasosenko.com/.